Blackbird is looking for a Portfolio FP&A Manager to chart the progress of Australia’s and New Zealand’s greatest technology companies.
About The Role
Blackbird is home to a wealth of proprietary data accumulated through our investments totalling more than a billion dollars into a portfolio of 68 companies over the last decade. These include some of the most successful Australian startups such as Canva, Zoox, SafetyCulture and Culture Amp.
You will help transform this pool of data into a set of insights that will be shared internally to help our investment decisions and externally with our LPs to help support their decision to invest in Blackbird funds and co-investments.
These are the jobs to be done:
Manage the data:
Bring the data to life:
Answer questions about the data:
This is a full time role based in our Auckland, Melbourne or Sydney offices.
Non-negotiable values and attributes:
- Truth - You have a deep discomfort with data not being in a clean, truthful state and once you have wrangled it into a good place, are process-driven to ensure that it will always remain so
- Entrepreneurial - do, don’t tell; you are biased to action. When we make mistakes, we fess up to them, solve them and don't dwell on them. It is more important to move quickly than to be perfect. You must be able to come up with the idea, refine it into the most minimally viable yet awesome version and build it yourself.
- Humility, low-ego - we are a small team, no-one is too good to do anything/everything. We all take out the trash.
- Hospitality Mindset - In our dealings with founders and investors, we take a hospitality mindset. We serve our founders, not the other way around. We are about people, not companies. Similarly, we treat our colleagues with generosity and respect. One team, one dream.
- Product Mindset - Can you scale it exponentially (rather than linearly)? Things that are scalable: culture, communities, protocols, languages, directories, playbooks, software etc. Things that are not scalable: service relationships.
We’re looking for someone who is as obsessed as we are about building an iconic investment firm. You must have a high ownership mentality, deep comfort with autonomy, confidence in your thought process, and willingness to adapt it to new information, a hunger for finding the truth, and a desire to help founders bring their better version of the future into the present.
You do not specifically need to have worked at a venture capital firm or a startup, but you do need to have a passion for and demonstrated interest in technology companies. We love it when people have bootstrapped themselves into a skill as much as gaining the skill from working at an established organisation.
Working at Blackbird
We believe that building a diverse and inclusive team is critical to Blackbird’s success. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. We use Applied to ensure every applicant gets an equal chance of success.
Our December 2020 Culture Amp engagement score was 93.
Flexible working: Whether it’s working from home or leaving early to pick up the kids from daycare or school.
Generous parental leave: We know family comes first and we are proud to offer generous parental leave — 16 weeks for primary carer and 6 weeks for a secondary carer, subject to a 12 month minimum tenure. This includes a continuation of super payments while on unpaid parental leave and a supportive return-to-work policy.
Learning & Development: Our team is hungry to continuously learn and you’ll receive a budget to spend on whatever you’d like to learn — from coding courses to meditation.
Unplugged weekends: We work hard without letting work get in the way of life. We’ve implemented no Slack or emails on weekends, so you can switch off.
Sharing in Blackbird’s success: We think it is important to share successes with the whole team. All Blackbird employees receive carry in our funds and are the equivalent of owners in the management company.
Blackbird is a Pledge 1% member — we pledge 1% of our time, equity and profits to help not-for-profit causes in our community. The Blackbird Foundation has been set up explicitly to partner with organisations that believe in the potential of young people, and the importance of creativity.
Blackbird is a venture capital firm whose mission is to supercharge Australia and New Zealand’s most ambitious founders. We do this by raising venture capital funds, investing into the best startup companies and helping them succeed. We have more than a billion dollars under management and a portfolio of 68 companies including some of the most successful Australian startups such as Canva, Zoox, SafetyCulture and Culture Amp.
Like the companies we back, we want to build a business that lasts for decades and produces excellent returns for our investors.
We’ve written a lot about what we love at Blackbird, so check out our blog if you want some more information about us. In particular, you should read about our mission and values, our master plan, and what we look for in founders.