Blackbird is looking to hire a Business Operations generalist to ensure we provide a world-class investment experience to our portfolio companies and investors.
Blackbird is a venture capital firm whose mission is to supercharge Australia’s most ambitious founders. We do this by raising venture capital funds, investing into the best startup companies, and helping them succeed. We have half a billion dollars under management, and a portfolio of over 60 companies including some of the most successful Australian startups such as Canva, Zoox, SafetyCulture and Culture Amp.
We are inspired by investment firms such as Berkshire Hathaway and Bridgewater Associates. We want to build a business that lasts for decades and produces excellent returns for our investors. We will do that by supporting Australia’s most talented founders to build category-defining technology companies.
We’ve written a lot about what we love at Blackbird, so check out our Medium if you want some more information about us. In particular, you should read about our mission and values, our master plan, and what we look for in founders.
About the Role
This is a generalist role that covers the full gamut of operations, finance and compliance. We are looking for someone who loves a challenge, has a growth mindset and an undeniable thirst for learning.
Here is a brief overview of some examples of work:
- Investor Reporting — help prepare fund valuation and reporting to our investors, including regulated superannuation funds.
- Portfolio Reporting — regularly collecting information from our portfolio companies, aggregating it and providing useful information to the investment team.
- Compliance — working closely with the team and our advisors to help ensure that Blackbird is compliant with policies and regulations, especially relating to AFSL, ESVCLP, AML/KYC, PFIC and FATCA.
- Operational Process — monitoring and improving our operational processes.
- Audit — working with our auditors and responding to their requests.
- Community — helping organise and produce events for the founders we invest in, our own investors and more broadly in the startup community.
Your background is less important than the key skills, which include:
- Ability to work closely with the Head of Operations to develop and implement fund operations.
- Strong accounting and finance skills.
- Ability to navigate the regulatory frameworks within which Blackbird operates.
- Being great at communicating both internally and externally and a hospitality mindset in dealing with all stakeholders.
- Being extremely detail-oriented.
- Fantastic at creating, improving, monitoring and implementing processes.
We’re looking for someone who is as passionate as us about building an iconic investment business. You must have a high ownership mentality and the ability to take responsibility for goals and outcomes.
About The Role
This is an important role at Blackbird, so we’re offering $90,000 salary, plus super and participation in the carry of our funds.
We believe that diversity is critical to Blackbird’s success. We will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. We use Applied to ensure every applicant gets an equal chance of success.
We are pleased to offer:
- flexible work arrangements
- paid parental leave — 16 weeks for the primary carer and 4 weeks for a secondary carer, subject to a 12-month minimum tenure.
- continuation of super payments while on unpaid parental leave
- an additional 5 days’ parental/personal leave per year
- a supportive return-to-work policy
- an annual budget for your learning & self-development
Blackbird is a Pledge 1% member — we pledge 1% of our time, equity and profits to help not-for-profit causes in our community, with a focus on greater gender diversity in STEM education.
This role is full time, based in Surry Hills, Sydney, with some flexibility to work from home.